- The Uniform Bar Examination (UBE) application will open online on Monday, April 1st and the deadline is Tuesday April 30th at 11:59 p.m. for the July 2019 exam. We suggest you complete your application during the week and during business hours, just in case you have some technical issues.
- An applicant for admission in New York, must also take and complete an online course in New York-specific law, known as the New York Law Course (NYLC), and must take and pass an online examination, known as the New York Law Exam (NYLE).
- An applicant may complete the NYLC up to one year before or any time after the date on which the applicant first sits for the UBE
- Please note you may not register for the NYLE until you have completed the NYLC. After an applicant has successfully completed the NYLC, the applicant may register for the next available administration of the NYLE through the applicant’s online account at the Board’s website. The deadline to register for the NYLE is 30 days prior to the date of the NYLE.
- Law students taking a July 2019 UBE are particularly encouraged to take and pass the NYLE before the UBE results are released in late October. The dates for future NYLE are:
June 13, 2019, 12:00 pm ET
September 26, 2019, 12:00 pm ET
December 19, 2019, 12:00 pm ET
- Another exam to be aware of is the MPRE, which is the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam and is required in order to be admitted to the NY bar as well.
- The purpose of the MPRE is to measure the examinee’s knowledge and understanding of established standards related to a lawyer’s professional conduct.
- The MPRE is based on the law governing the conduct of lawyers, including the disciplinary rules of professional conduct currently articulated in the American Bar Association (ABA) Model Rules of Professional Conduct (MRPC) and the ABA Model Code of Judicial Conduct (CJC), as well as controlling constitutional decisions and generally accepted principles established in leading federal and state cases and in procedural and evidentiary rules.
- If you have not yet taken the MPRE the remaining testing dates for 2019 are:
Saturday, August 10, 2019
Regular Application Receipt Deadline: June 13, 2019
Late Application Receipt Deadline: June 20, 2019
Last testing date for 2019:
Saturday, November 9, 2019
Required Forms for Eligibility to the Bar required by NYU School of Law
- Please note that you are required to fill out and turn in our “NYU School of Law State Bar Request Form,” which is available on our website and in our office. Our office is located in Furman Hall, Room 400. We will accept these forms through May 31st.
- Also please refer to the State Bar that you plan to sit for to find out if they require any documentation is needed to submit with their State Bar Request form. If you need assistance regarding what forms are required, office will be happy to assist.