Take the Uniform Bar Examination for New York State (UBE) (i.e. the Bar Exam that is administered on the last Tuesday and Wednesday of February and July.)
The Uniform Bar Examination (UBE) was adopted by the New York Court of Appeals effective with the July 2016 administration of the New York State bar examination.
Take the New York Law Course (NYLC) (Complete up to one year before the applicant first sits for the UBE or up to three years after the applicant first sits for and passes the UBE. See this page for details.)
- The NYLC is an online, on-demand course on important and unique aspects of New York law.
- The NYLC consists of approximately 15 hours of videotaped lectures with embedded questions which must be answered correctly before an applicant can continue viewing the lecture.
Take the New York Law Exam (NYLE) (After completing NYLC and up to one year before the applicant first sits for the UBE or up to three years after the applicant first sits for and passes the UBE. See this page for details.)
- An open book test which is a 50 item multiple-choice test that is offered four times per year.
- See the dates and times of administration as well as the registration deadlines.
- An applicant who fails the NYLE will be required to retake both the NYLC and the NYLE.
Take the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (Previously mentioned as a requirement for many U.S. jurisdictions. May be taken before or after bar exam; usually taken before.)
Complete the 50-Hour Pro Bono Requirement (Complete the form after you pass the bar and before you are sworn in.)
- file documentation showing completion of 50 hours of qualifying pro bono work, as required by Rule 520.16 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals.
- See more information about the Pro Bono work at NYU Law. If you have any questions, please contact Miriam Eckenfels-Garcia.
Complete the Character and Fitness Form (Complete the form after you pass the bar and before you are sworn in.)
- Character and Fitness – access the NY state form.
- Please read the Moral Character and Fitness section of the Code of Recommended Standards for Bar Examiners, which is included in the NCBE’s Comprehensive Guide to Bar Admission Requirements
Complete the Skills Competency and Professional Values Requirement Form (Complete the form after you pass the bar and before you are sworn in.)
- Applicable to students commencing the JD in August 2016 or later – use Pathway 1
- Applicable to students commencing the LLM in August 2018 or later – use Pathway 4 or Pathway 5