Tax Reporting for International Students

Posted on

All international students and scholars are required to report to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) each year – even if they did not work during the prior year. You will not necessarily need to pay taxes, but reporting to US tax authorities is a legal requirement. Although the Office of Global Services does not advise on tax issues, its website includes very helpful information on filing taxes.

Preparing tax returns can be quite time consuming, so we recommend that you review tax information now to prepare to file the necessary forms.