McGill University’s Faculty of Law is proud to announce that the Baxter Family Competition on Federalism will be returning for a second edition in early 2019. The overarching goal of the Baxter Family Competition on Federalism is to advance research and foster informed debate on federalism by young jurists (including law students, law PhD candidates, junior legal scholars and junior lawyers) from around the world.
- All law students, as well as PhD candidates, junior legal scholars or junior lawyers with five years of experience or less, from anywhere around the world.
- To be eligible, authors must either be currently enrolled in a B.C.L, LL.B, J.D., LL.M., D.C.L., or Ph.D. program in law (or their local equivalents), hold a law degree and have obtained their most recent degree (in law or otherwise) after January 14th 2014, have been admitted to the Bar after January 14th 2014
Criteria for Submission
- Original text in English or in French
- Maximum of 8,000 words, including footnotes, for texts in English
- Maximum of 8,800 words, including footnotes, for texts in French
- Not yet submitted for publication as of January 14th 2019
- Written in 12 points font, double-spaced, with 2.5 cm margins on all sides
- Numbered in the upper right corner
- Submitted in MS Word format
- Include complete references, following the Canadian Guide to Legal Citation (http://lawjournal.mcgill.ca/en/text/22)
- Introduced by a distinct document including: title, author’s name, contact information (e-mail, phone, address), statement affirming the eligibility for the competition (date of graduation), unpublished status of the paper
- Include an abstract summarizing the main question and main conclusions (maximum 200 words)
For more information, please follow this link: https://www.mcgill.ca/law/research/essay-contests/baxter-competition-federalism.
Inquiries: Questions concerning submissions or other aspects of the Competition may be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions are to be emailed to Professor Johanne Poirier, at email@example.com.
Deadline: January 14th 2019