The NYU Center for Transnational Litigation and Commercial Law, the NYU Journal of International Law and Politics and the NYU International Law Society are pleased to invite you to the 18th Annual Herbert Rubin And Justice Rose Luttan Rubin International Law Symposium:
Tug of War: The Tension Between Regulation and International Cooperation
Thursday, October 25th, 9:00am – 4:30pm
Greenberg Lounge, NYU School of Law, 40 Washington Square South
An all day symposium featuring internationally recognized practitioners, academics, and judges, including former U.K. Supreme Court Justice Lord Collins of Mapesbury and Judge Diane P. Wood of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Registration is free. 5 CLE CREDITS AVAILABLE!
Contentious issues arise at every stage of transnational litigation from initial jurisdictional inquiries all the way to judgment recognition and enforcement. In this sense, transnational litigation is the nexus of law, business, and international politics. ”Tug of War” will examine how U.S. courts balance our regulatory interest against the need for international cooperation throughout the transnational litigation process. We will focus on situations where the tension is most controversial, including:
• forum non conveniens dismissal
• the application of foreign law
• judgment enforcement and recognition, and
• the effect of corruption in foreign courts.
With every issue, we will question whether the status quo is working and the extent to which it can be improved through changes in practices and procedures.
Speakers and moderators will include:
• Lord Collins of Mapesbury, former Justice of the Supreme Court of the U.K.
• Judge Diane P. Wood, U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
• Prof. Louise Ellen Teitz, First Secretary, Hague Conference on Private International Law
• Prof. Steven B. Burbank, University of Pennsylvania Law School
• Prof. Samuel P. Baumgartner, University of Akron School of Law
• Prof. Ronald A. Brand, University of Pittsburgh School of Law
• Prof. Peter “Bo” Rutledge, University of Georgia School of Law
• Prof. Matthew J. Wilson, University of Wyoming College of Law
• John Fellas, Hughes Hubbard & Reed
• John B. Bellinger III, Arnold & Porter
• Prof. Linda J. Silberman, NYU School of Law
• Prof. Franco Ferrari, NYU School of Law
• Prof. José E. Alvarez, NYU School of Law
To register, visit http://nyulaw.imodules.com/tugofwar.
For more information and the agenda visit http://nyujilp.org/symposia/tug-of-war/