Welcome to NYU! We look forward to meeting you starting next month. In the meantime, we wanted to make sure you are aware of a couple things – including a mandatory meeting for summer funding this week!
As you may know, NYU Law guarantees funding for all JD students who wish to do public interest summer internships, as long as they fulfill a few basic program requirements. We strongly encourage you to consider a public interest internship, whatever your long term career plans may be. More information will follow about the PILC Summer Funding Program in due course, but we wanted to alert you that you should begin completing program requirements, even if you aren’t sure what you will wind up doing this summer. (You can always opt out of the program later if you change your mind, but students must complete all program requirements to qualify for funding). About two thirds of 1Ls take advantage of this funding!
Please mark your calendars for the following, as attendance is mandatory for those who want PILC Summer Funding.
1) Auction Canvassing requirement – the Public Service Auction is an important source of funding for the program (it typically raises $100,000 in one night!), but we need everyone to participate to sustain this. Therefore, it is mandatory for 1Ls to attend ONE of the canvassing sessions, where you will learn about how to get involved:
· Monday, Sept. 16, 12:30-1:30 p.m., FH 216 – OR –
· Friday, Sept. 20, 2:00-3:00 p.m., FH 216
**Be sure to bring your laptops!** Please note that you will be asked to work together in groups of three or four to complete your canvassing assignments.
2) Mandatory 1L Meeting requirement – all 1Ls seeking funding MUST attend a meeting titled “1L Job Search Skills Workshop:
· Monday, Oct. 21, 12:30-1:30 p.m., VH Tishman
3) Leaders Lecture requirement – all 1Ls seeking funding MUST attend at least TWO Leaders in Public Interest Series Lectures. Upcoming lectures include:
· Monday, Sept. 30, 6:00-7:00 p.m., VH Greenberg, The Seventeenth Annual Attorney General Robert Abrams Public Service Lecture with New York State Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman.
· Wednesday, Oct. 16, 5:00-6:00 p.m., VH Greenberg, Latinos and the Law Lecture
· Monday, Nov. 4, 12:30-1:30 p.m., FH 216, Pathways to Careers in International Law
· Monday, Nov. 4, 4:00-5:00 p.m. The Rose Sheinberg Lecture, Winon LaDuke, Founding Director of White Earth Land Recovery Project and Honor the Earth
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to working with you!
The PILC Team