The Gideon’s Promise Law School Partnership Program is inviting applications for its class of 2018 fellows. For details on the program, see: http://www.gideonspromise.org/programs/lspp.
NYU Law will nominate one 3L to apply for the Gideon’s Promise Fellowship to work at one of the participating public defender offices. If the candidate is selected for the fellowship, NYU will pay a modest stipend (but no health benefits) for the first year, after which time, the fellow will be guaranteed a full-time, paid job with the public defender office. The fellow must commit to working in the office for three years, and Gideon’s Promise will provide support and training throughout this time.
The participating offices this year are:
- Augusta, GA (Augusta Judicial Circuit Office of the Public Defender)
- East Baton Rouge, LA (19th Judicial District Public Defender)
- New Orleans, LA (Orleans Public Defenders)
- Wilkes-Barre, PA (Luzerne County Public Defender Office)
- Norristown, PA (Montgomery County Public Defender Office)
- Sioux Falls, SD (Minnehaha County Public Defender’s Office)
- Columbia, SC (Office of the Richland County Public Defender)
- Nashville, TN (Metropolitan Public Defender Office)
- Richmond, VA (Virginia Indigent Defense Commission)
- Newport News, VA (Virginia Indigent Defense Commission)
- Portsmouth, VA (Virginia Indigent Defense Commission)
- Fredericksburg, VA (Virginia Indigent Defense Commission)
- Charleston, WV (West Virginia Public Defender Corporation 13th Judicial Circuit)
If you would like to apply for the fellowship, please send a resume and statement of interest as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, September 18, at 5:00 p.m. The subject line of your email should be “Gideon’s Promise Fellowship Application.” In the body of your email, please rank your top five offices from the list above.
All applications received by the deadline will be forwarded to a Faculty Selection Committee, which will conduct interviews and select one student to apply for the fellowship. The selected student will be notified on or by October 6 and must submit a separate application to Gideon’s Promise by October 20.
Your commitment to working in one of these underfunded offices will be an important factor in the decision-making process, so please be sure to address this in your statement of interest.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the program in more detail, please contact Emily Kernan at email@example.com.