OCS Weekly Career Docket
Week of April 27, 2012
I. Early Interview Week (EIW) Announcements
II. OCS Announcements
III. Bar Association Announcements
IV. Miscellaneous Announcements
V. Hot Jobs
I. Early Interview Week (EIW) Announcements:
1. SAVE THE DATE: Early Interview Week (EIW) 2012 (1Ls, 2Ls)
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 through Friday August 17, 2012
Doubletree Suites, 1568 Broadway (47th Street and 7th Avenue) New York, NY 10036
2. CURRENTLY OPEN: Early Interview Week (EIW) 2012 CSM Module
The Early Interview Week 2012 module is currently open to rising 2Ls and 3Ls on CSM. You will be able to access the OCI tab to view/bid on the EIW employers upon completing your Summer Registration Form. If you are still seeking summer employment, please choose “Seeking Job” under Job/Activity Type and contact the OCS receptionist to make an appointment if you have not recently met with an OCS counselor.
Please note that ONLY students who have registered for EIW by completing their Summer Registration Form will receive EIW related emails and information going forward. Please be sure to regularly check the email account listed on your Summer Registration Form.
To complete your Summer Registration Form:
1. Go to the CSM homepage at https://law-nyu-csm.symplicity.com/students
2. Upon successfully logging in, click the Profile top link
3. Then click the Summer Jobs/Activities Log tab
4. Click Add New
5. Complete the Summer Registration Form and click Submit
3. EIW Requirements (1Ls)
All 1Ls must complete each of the following EIW Requirements:
1. 1 Career Educational Event
2. Strike-A-Match (April 12, 2012)
3. 1 Practice Interview Program (Summer 2012)
4. Interview Skills Workshop (Summer 2012)
II. OCS Announcements:
1. 1L Small Group Early Interview Prep Meetings
Irene Dorzback, Assistant Dean for Career Services, met with 1Ls in small groups on the topics listed below. We will list these webinars on CSM, including the public handouts (some were confidential and can be viewed in the office), on Wednesday, May 16th (after exams). There is no need to be concerned about the content of these programs until after the exam period. Should you have questions following the webinar, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org and a counselor will respond to your inquiry.
1L Small Group Meetings:
Early Interview Week: Where Do I Begin?
Strike-a-Match Data: Is it an exact science? (A 3 year retrospective)
Public Interest Personal Trapped in a Private Sector Job Search: How to transfer your skills? (Discussion of how to optimally prepare/research and respond to questions if you have a strong public service background)
How to Break out of the “B” Curve
2. Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP Post Writing Competition Celebration for 1Ls
When: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Where: A60 at Sixty Thompson Hotel, 60 Thompson Street, New York, NY
RSVP by Friday, May 4 to Julie Alfin at email@example.com.
Come celebrate the end of the Journal Competition with partners and associates from CWT.
3. A Prize For Your Thoughts
Thank you for all the observations and constructive suggestions that you provided during our Strike-a-Match session –changes are in the works! You may be interested to learn that there were three general themes that emerged institutionally as well as specifically to the OCS. Institutionally, most people commented on the need for a more centralized calendar and communication system; more involvement with faculty (office hours, academic advising, opportunities to know faculty outside of the classroom); and more “holistic” coordination among OCS, Academic Services, and PILC. With respect to Career Services, the primary suggestions were: more drop-in hours, increased networking events, and more guidance on practice areas. There were additional specific suggestions and we are digesting those individually – thank you for your candor and thoughtfulness!
The following 1Ls have won prizes. Congratulations to:
1. Annie Hillman- One free night/day at the Doubletree Suites during Early Interview Week (Value: $450 value)
2. Tim Miles- Lunch or dinner with a major law firm hiring partner in June to discuss your EIW strategy (Value: cost of dinner and partner– you don’t want to know!)
3. – Madlyn Axelrod: Private study room in the OCI Interview Suite for 4 days Study/ Exam period (Value: priceless)
4. Amelia Frankel:- NYU School of Law Tote Bag (Value: $25)
Laura Behrendt in the OCS will be in contact with you regarding prize redemption.
III. Bar Association Announcements
2. 1st Annual White Collar Crime Institute
Monday, May 14, 2012, 9:00-6:00 p.m.
IV. Miscellaneous Announcements:
1. ”Meet McKinsey” – Invitation to Destination EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa) Event
Monday, April 30, 2012, 6:00-8:00 p.m.
2. Australian Law Students’ Association (ALSA) Conference
Monday, July 9- Monday, July 16, 2012
V. Hot Jobs:
Following is a sample of job listings currently active on CSM. You can find additional jobs, as well as get more information and apply for these jobs through the CSM System: https://law-nyu-csm.symplicity.com/students/
1. 2012 Summer Legal Intern (1Ls); Achievement Matters, Los Angeles, CA – CSM ID 424849. Achievement Matters is seeking a first year law student for a part-time or full-time internship position to assist the president of company and appointed attorney in performing legal research and drafting contracts.
2. 2012 Summer Internship (1Ls, 2Ls); Business Integrity Commission, New York, NY – CSM ID 424529. The legal intern will conduct legal research, participate in depositions, conduct background work, and draft correspondence.
3. Legal Intern (1Ls, 2Ls); Direct Agents- Interactive Advertising, New York, NY – CSM 424790. Legal Interns will have the excellent opportunity of gaining professional legal experience in the digital marketing industry.
4. 2012 Summer Internship (1Ls); Hon. Ellen Coin, New York, NY – CSM ID 424664. A summer internship is available for a 2L student in chambers of a Supreme Court, New York County justice.
If you have any questions regarding the Docket, please email Laura Behrendt at firstname.lastname@example.org.